Research shows that it would take an individual 22.7 years to eat at all of the restaurants in New York City, and that’s 3 meals per day at a new restaurant!
In efforts to help you find a great meal in our backyard, we will be publishing curated guides of our favorites. Read on for our restaurant reviews and a roundup of what we ordered. Think of it as a turn-key manual to our preferred restaurants. Check out our Insta-stories for pics and videos of everything up close
I went to Maialino in Gramercy and it was definitely a great brunch spot. The location is also easy to get to and centrally located. We walked in and were immediately excited to eat. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. Everyone had great suggestions. My biggest takeaway is to order the pastries at the beginning and make sure to try the cacio e pepe eggs – you will NOT be disappointed! I’ve heard dinner is equally as delicious and I hope to go back sometime soon to enjoy. 🙂 -Nikki
- Banana Loaf: This was the first piece of banana bread that I have ever had that compares to one that is homemade. My favorite part was the crunchy bottom layer.
- Glazed Cinnamon Roll: Despite probably being the least healthy item on the menu, it was by far my favorite. I love nothing more than a cinnamon roll with delicious icing.
- Pistachio Croissant: This was a table favorite. Anyone else notice the pistachio craze lately?
- Cacio e Pepe Eggs: Give me cacio e pepe in any food form and you know I will devour it. Every person at the table had to try these eggs and they did not disappoint.
- Ricotta Pancakes: Though delicious and a table favorite, I have to say that I personally prefer a regular pancake.
- Frittata: This was another table favorite. Put it on top of bread with some hot sauce for a tasty brunch dish.
- Contadino: I did not personally try this dish but Corey said it was delicious and he enjoys nothing more than runny eggs with veggies.
Union Square Cafe is the perfect Sunday spot. I went with friends to finish off the weekend right and loved the experience. It’s definitely on the pricey side so keep that in mind and it is great for family dinners or special occasions when you can share things and try as much as possible. At this point, Union Square is an establishment for people who really know NYC so if you’re visiting, I highly recommend trying it out. Overall, it was a great night and I completely get why this restaurant is such a “thing” in NYC. -Anna
- Mesclun and Sweet Potato Salad: The perfect light spring salad! So good!!!!
- Roasted Carrots, Hot Honey & Garlic Salt and Wilted Spinach
- Tater Tots: WOW- a salty little bite, I would definitely get these to share if you plan on ordering a main. Honestly I would have eaten these just for my whole meal it was so good and filling
- Ricotta Gnocchi: Tasted like a pillow- legit melted in my mouth- BTW thank you to the followers that suggested this!
- Pappardelle: SO GOOD!!!!!!
- Grilled NY Strip Steak: It is the perfect size if you plan on getting sides and appetizers. And super delicious
The ambiance at Kings County Imperial is FUN. You’ll hear your favorite oldies playing in the background, and cocktails have a tiki vibe. Try the pineapple tonic, which is appropriately served in a golden pineapple, with a shot of rum delicately balanced on top. We also appreciate that the food is sourced with thoughtful ingredients, to ensure you avoid that typical NYC Chinese Food sodium hangover. Sauces are made from scratch, and dumpling dough is rolled fresh daily, not frozen. Check out their Dollar Dumpling happy hour on week nights at the LES location. -Dana
- Off the menu Soup Dumplings: They’re off the menu, so you immediately feel cool for ordering them. Soup dumplings have become a thing in NYC, and these ones are basically a soup explosion in your mouth.
- Cold Sesame Noodles: I could write a novel about these. The best peanutty chili sauce with insanely delicious noodles. This is my favorite thing on the menu.
- Crispy Chilli Squid: Like your favorite calamari with a Chinese flavor twist. Must try!
- Sacha Beef & Chinese Broccoli: The typical dish, but flavor here gets a 10/10.
- Double Garlic Chinese Eggplant: I’ve never had eggplant like this before, it’s SO garlicky and easy to eat.
- Mock Eel: This one was also new to me. It looks EXACTLY like eel, but is made of shiitake mushrooms.
- Ice Cream Sandwich: You’ll be stuffed by this point, so they’ll wrap it to-go for a delicious trip home.
Bubby’s is definitely one of my favorite brunch spots in NYC. One tip I would give you is to make a reservation ahead of time. They are pretty much always busy on a Sunday. But that is how you know a place is really good! Also, Bubby’s is truly the perfect place to go after a night out. I went to Bubby’s the day after my 21st birthday and it was the perfect hangover cure! Going with friends makes it even more fun and being able to share everything is key. -Anna
- Biscuits: These are a must-get when you go to Bubby’s, they are so delicious and the perfect starter.
- Matzo Ball Soup: YUM YUM! It tastes like a grandma made this soup. I feel like in New York it is hard to find a place to get matzo ball soup with chicken, they usually just use broth and vegetables, so the chicken made this one so good. Also, my friend and I split it and it was the perfect amount if you still want mains and don't want to fill up right away.
- Mac and Cheese: This dish was super cheesy and the perfect size to share with 3 friends. With Mac and Cheese, you never want to have too much, so a couple bites is always perfect.
- Immune Booster Shot: I love when restaurants have these types of things. I was starting to feel sick, so this was necessary and really woke me up! It had ginger, turmeric, cayenne and a few other ingredients that are really good for you.
Main Course: (We shared everything, BTW)
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes: You can never go wrong with these. I suggest asking for the chocolate chips inside the pancakes because they will just put them on top if not! Either way, they are delicious.
- Fried Chicken Lunch: If you feel like indulging, I say definitely order this. It is A LOT so I suggest doing what we did and order it with a other things for the table, so everyone can try.
- Smoked Salmon Bagel: This is a classic you can never go wrong.