Last week was a big one for me- I moved in with Corey! Because of this, I decided to reflect a bit upon life before him, particularly the dating world.
Arielle was always very open about my experiences (despite me being hesitant) and even TRIED to make me an Instagram Bachelorette (thank you for that). Dating is hard- there are definitely no rules but tips are always helpful! See below for 7 of mine:
1. Give everyone the chance they deserve! You never know what a relationship can develop into unless you give it the time and energy it needs. A relationship can change so much between the first date and the first month, and the first year.
2. Don’t get discouraged. Even after a big dating spree, it’s normal to feel worn out and tired of dating. I’ve gone through periods of time where I cancelled every date and periods of time where I tried to go on a couple of dates a week. I found that the right person comes at the right time – yes, I understand this is cheesy but TRUE.
3. If you can’t be yourself on a date, he ISN’T the one! This is one of the most important red flags out there. On my first date with Corey, we had a staring competition. I literally have no idea why but I knew then that I was more comfortable than I had been on most first dates.
4. Be open to meeting people in every way possible. Using the apps, getting set up through friends, meeting people through work, everything is fair game. Explore your options and go up to people if they aren’t coming up to you! You can’t be shy.
5. Every relationship moves at a different pace. This is so important to remember so you don’t feel pressure to take things slow or move super fast, just do what feels right for you.
6. Just because you’ve been together for a long time, doesn’t mean he’s the one! This tip is self-explanatory, but I feel like we all need a reminder sometimes.
7. What you think you might want, might not be what you actually need. Everyone goes into dating with certain expectations and characteristics about who they think they want to be with, but these aren’t always true! When you get to know someone and fall in love with them, it doesn’t matter if they fit the mold of who you thought you would end up falling in love with, so try to keep an open mind, no matter what!
Dating can be the absolute best and the absolute worst, but the end result is so worth it when you find someone you love and can be yourself with. What are your best dating tips?
A Few Things We Got For Our New Apartment
Graphic By: Hannah Kellner